Lorraine

Default Vegan Macaroni and Cheese

Back when I was still a meat and dairy eater, my family and I used to always
have baked macaroni and cheese on holidays. I had so missed eating that
when I gave up dairy. I don't miss it anymore. I found the best macaroni
and cheese recipe online. I just made a batch. It's creamy just like the
dairy version. I'm so happy with it that I thought that I would share this
wonderful recipe.

This is the website that I found the recipe on:
http://www.waste.org/~oxymoron/recipes/

WASTE Mac'n'Cheese
(which contains absolutely no cheese, natch)
Ingredients
3 cups macaroni
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
a pinch of turmeric
2 tbsp good shoyu or tamari soy sauce
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup oil
1 or 2 peppers, chopped (we prefer Annaheims) optional
Paprika to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.
Start boiling water in a pot for macaroni. Add a pinch of salt, but no oil.
Oil is wrong. Also start boiling exactly 3 cups of water in a teapot for
making the sauce.

Measure out ingredients while waiting for water to boil. Or stand around
like an idiot and then panic later. Your choice. What? You didn't read this
far until after the water was boiling? Fool.

When water is boiling, begin cooking macaroni, stirring occassionally. You
can turn down the teapot when it starts to boil, cuz you won't need it for a
couple minutes yet.

In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour. When
it has reached an even, bubbly consistency, whisk in boiling water from
teapot. Reduce heat to low. Stir until smooth again and add garlic, salt,
turmeric, and soy sauce. Then fold in nutritional yeast flakes and oil and
stir until smooth. If you just added a cup of nutritional yeast powder or,
worse yet, brewer's yeast, you've probably just made your dinner inedible.
Eat it anyway as punishment for not following directions. Mix the peppers
in.

If your timing is good, the macaroni should be finished now. When it's done,
drain it in a collander and shake the excess water out quickly. Pour all the
macaroni back into the pot, then mix in the sauce. Don't burn yourself on
the pot or you'll feel stupid. You could use a fancy casserole dish or
something, but that's just one more dish to clean. Whatever. It's your
dinner, do it however you want. Sprinkle paprika on top.

Cook for 15 minutes at 350F and then for 5 minutes on "broil". Don't sit
around. Wash the dishes while you're waiting - that saucepan will be hard to
clean later. Might as well put away all the ingredients you left out too.
Serve with fresh-ground pepper, maybe some diced tomato, even some sprouts.
Do not serve with ketchup, broccoli, or veggie franks unless you're some
sort of freak. Freak.