Posted to alt.food.barbecue
skeeter skeeter is offline

Default first smoke on char-griller duo

On Mar 30, 3:15 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Walt Fles wrote:
> > It was 6 pounds, and the brine added some nice moisture and actually
> > the brown sugar and molasses penetrated it and left a dark ring in the
> > middle of it. overall it turned out quite well.

> A butt has a lot of moisture which is increased with the cooking as the
> collagen breaks down. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing you. I was
> just trying to figure out if you knew that brining a shoulder or butt for
> bbq just isn't necessary.
>
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

OK thanks for your input. One thing though I did notice was that my
old thermometer for some reason
(maybe since it should not be immersed one of my unknowing children
washed it in the sink) was not
working, and when I went to the store to get some other food to have
with dinner I picked up another
grill/oven safe meat thermometer. The shoulder was done much sooner
than I expected, so therefore I
think it cooked a bit quicker than I thought it would. The bone
pulled out fairly easily but the meat did not
shred (pulled) as I hoped it would have. I'm just learning how to
regulate the heat on this grill/smoker but
I'm certain the next times will be much closer to perfection.