Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Sushi chefs warn on side-effects of raw fish boom

"Musashi" > wrote in message

>>> Health issues are minor side-effects compared to extinction
>>> of tuna.
>>>
>>> A few years ago I quit buying tuna altogether, fresh or
>>> canned, and I wish you all would do the same. I've made
>>> sushi at home regulairily about 20 years now and I really
>>> would not like to serve my guests 'the last piece of tuna'.

>> Tuna? They say the oceans will be depleted by 2051. We'll
>> probable have
>> farm raised tuna still, but at what price. I may live longer
>> enough to see
>> this happen, although 43 years is a long time.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

> The standard practice has been, and remains, to net small wild
> Bluefin Tuna and raise them in captive pens
> fatttening them up for the market. However a few years ago a
> university fish research facility
> in Japan succeded in extracting Bluefin Tuna eggs, fertilizing
> them and actually hatching Bluefin Tuna
> in captivity. This technology over last few years while still
> rare, has been so succcesful that the University
> authorized the sales of the excess farm stocks to supplement
> their income. I predict that that this is an
> indicator of the farm-born/farm-rasied tuna we may all be
> eating in the future.
> Musashi

As a lover of tuna, whether in sushi or not, I hope it works.
However, the same problems as face farmed salmon will have to be
overcome, lack of taste, disease at the farm and disease
spreading to the surrounding waters.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland