Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude[_2_] Sonoran Dude[_2_] is offline

Default Taco Nazi article for Booger

No tacos at a Mexican restaurant?
Randy Cordova
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 28, 2008
Mexican dining guide.

For more than 30 years, Rito's has offered a basic menu and some
to-die-for food.

It's gotten even more basic: The Mexican eatery has quietly dropped
basic tacos and tostadas from the menu.

"We just decided to simplify the menu," says Charlotte Hansen, daughter
of Rito's founder Rosemary Salinas. "Sometimes you have to focus on
things other than business."

That's not a surprise coming from the Salinas clan. The restaurant has
built up a devoted following, even though there has never been a sign
posted outside the little restaurant at 907 N. 14th St., Phoenix.

For instance, the shop used to be open on Saturdays, but that was
dropped in the '90s. Later, the hours were cut back, with the restaurant
closing at 4 p.m. weekdays.

"It's not a happy family if you don't have time to be with your family,"
Hansen says. "My mom has always taken pride in what we serve, but we've
also taken time to be a family."

Hansen says her mom has been slowing down in recent months, which is one
reason for cutting out tacos. Another reason: The overwhelming
popularity of burros at the restaurant. Rito's green chili burro, served
enchilada style, is simply mouth-watering and is one reason the place
has developed such a loyal following.

"Yesterday, we went through 80 dozen tortillas," Hansen says. "That's a
lot of burros!"

And when you have limited kitchen space and so much food to prepare,
sometimes certain things have to be let go. Still, customers long for
the tacos.

"People miss them," she says. "They want to know if they're coming back,
but right now, we're respecting my mother's wishes."

Don't give up hope, though. Hansen says they're considering returning
the Mexican restaurant staple to the menu.

"We're a Mexican restaurant: People expect tacos," she said. "Six or
seven years ago, we stopped selling tacos, and they called us the taco
Nazis. Hopefully, they won't be gone forever."

That's for sure.