usual suspect

Default Japanese trip report or... I'M STARVING!

Jennifer Huebl wrote:
<...>
> Also in Osaka is a chain of French sandwich & coffee shops. I can't
> remember what they're called, but they had the word France in the name
> and it was easy to spot.

Vie de France. They also have soups and salads, the latter of which can
be made without meat (I'd guess their soups have meat, dairy, or both,
but I don't have a copy of their menu).

<snip>
> Anyway, that's about all I can remember at the moment. I hope this helps
> someone if they're planning to go to Japan anytime soon. I searched for
> info forever before we finally went on this trip, and in the end I came
> away with the impression that while it would be hard to find food, I'd
> still do okay. In the end I find that was a very wrong impression to
> have! When you're vegan and you visit Japan, you really need to assume
> the worst about finding food...at least that was my experience. And it's
> how I'll prepare for it again whenever we get to go back (or if we get
> to any other Asian countries anytime).

It really helps to know the language, even if just to cover ingredients
you want as well as what you want to avoid, or at least try to make a
friend who knows your language and the one of the country you're
visiting. Many Japanese are fluent in English, and many more aren't but
love the chance to practice. Same is true throughout Asia.