H. W. Hans Kuntze

Default rich, moist chocolate cake

Dee Randall wrote:

>I've bought saffron from Penzy's

I hope the gave you a jar of vaseline as bonus.

> and needed some more and bought it at a
>global market about a month ago and haven't used it yet, tho. After I g=

ot
>home and looked at it more closely, it did have some "white" in it

That is common for the cheaper grades of Mancha.

>[...]
>I see that saffron's page sells Iranian (you call Persian?),

Yes. That is what it's been called since Methusala. Same with other=20
countries that were renamed. I like the old names better. Ceylon instead =

of Sri-Lanka, etc.

> which I've
>heard is the best -- I don't know.=20

It is Sargol, excellent. Best quality there is, comparable (or better=20
than) to Mancha Coupe or the best of the Kashmiri Saffron. The flavor=20
(Eugenol) is a little different than Mancha.

> I've only used Spanish. On the page,
>which amount do you buy or recommend.

Whatever you can use within a few month or you can keep it in the=20
freezer a long time.
And never ever buy saffron ground, too much monkey business with that one=
=2E

> I keep my in a closed jar in the
>refrigerator.

[...]

If it is airtight it should not pick up moisture or flavors.

As long/ or if you/ as you prefer spanish saffron, check out:
http://www.sfherb.com/
an ounce of select Mancha (good quality) goes for around $30 an ounce.
At Pennzy's they ask 4x as much for the same thing.
Their spices are nice, but way overpriced.
Or if you live on the east-coast(same company):
http://www.atlanticspice.com/

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"