Dee Randall

Default "bread flour"

Perhaps this is what I mistakenly thought about bread flour being
all-purpose with the addition of ascorbic acid. It is at
http://www.recipesource.com/misc/hints/00/rec0020.html

"Some bread flour has ascorbic

acid added, some doesn't. I used to be able to choose from four or five

different brands of bread flour, but now I have to take what I can get!

But, adding a little ascorbic acid gives your bread an extra boost, even if

there's already some in the flour. I add some if I want an especially

light loaf, it makes the bread less dense. The acidity is also supposed to

make the bread last longer."

Thanks,

Dee

"Graham" > wrote in message

> "SCUBApix" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > > I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that bread flour

has
> > > added to it, citric acid (vitamin c) powder to make it bread flour.
> > >
> > > I tried adding the teeniest pinch of citric acid to my all-purpose

flour
> > for
> > > a pizza crust, instead of using bread flour which seems to make it a

> > little
> > > too bubbly for my tastes. The addition of the citric acid did change

> my
> > > crust.
> > >
> > > Big imagination?
> > > Dee
> > >

> > It may change the texture of the dough but you did NOT make bread flour

> out
> > of All Purpose flour. The difference between bread flour and all purpose
> > flour is the protein content. Bread flour has more. However, I don't

know
> of
> > any 'official' value that allows one to call flour bread flour. Most

bread
> > flour I believe is in the 14-16% protien range while All Purpose flour

is