Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Jim Webster[_2_] Jim Webster[_2_] is offline

Default Eat less meat

"Robert Seago" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jim Webster > wrote:
>

> I saw the plantations in St Lucia pretty well idle. A few people were
> literally giving them to tourists with a donation box present because
> people tended to give more than they could get by setting a price. They
> said it was because their bananas did not meet some American conditions,
> unlike those grown by multinationals in Honduras. As for me I know
> nothing.

probably true but I'm not sure whether they ever sold many into the US
anyway, they have been largely geared to UK and France for political
reasons.
I can see where the donation box idea would win out, if you do it in this
country with field vegetables it works as well, because people will always
donate more than you can sell them for ;-(

Jim Webster