Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Robert Seago Robert Seago is offline

Default Eat less meat

In article >,
Jim Webster > wrote:

> > Bananas in the Carribean are another example.

> It was once explained to me that the import quotas for Carribean bananas
> was a political decision in Europe, in that we didn't want to leave the
> Carribean to be divided up between the US and Cuba. It is just so much
> easier to dress up as 'AID' and give it some sort of moral legitimacy.
> It isn't a stance I agree with, but I would be very wary of getting on
> too high a horse over this issue.

> Jim Webster

I saw the plantations in St Lucia pretty well idle. A few people were
literally giving them to tourists with a donation box present because
people tended to give more than they could get by setting a price. They
said it was because their bananas did not meet some American conditions,
unlike those grown by multinationals in Honduras. As for me I know
nothing.