Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Eat less meat

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:21:02 -0700 (PDT), Dragonblaze > wrote:

>On 17 Mar, 16:14, dh@. wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 06:55:29 -0700 (PDT), Dragonblaze > wrote:

>> >So if I had a diet of chips (that's French fries to Americans) which
>> >are completely vegan - just potatoes, oil and salt - I would never get
>> >fat, is that what you're REALLY claiming?

>> >I'll never be able to understand faith-heads of any stripe....

>> * * I've recently learned that strong atheists are most amusing
>> about their faith. I was first amused to learn that they deny
>> their faith that the tooth fairy doesn't exist, also Santa and
>> the Easter Bunny, etc. Then I was more amused to learn
>> they deny their own faith in the possibility that a creator
>> does not exist, and later that they deny their own faith in
>> everything they have faith in, including their faith that the
>> Earth will continue to rotate. How screwed up can you get?

>Don't make unwarranted assumptions. The fact that I recognize
>religious or quasi-religious fanatics ("faith-heads") does not mean
>I'm an atheist.... As a matter of fact, I'm an agnostic.

I thought I was, but it turns out I'm a weak atheist since
part of being agnostic means you don't think it can be
known whether God exists or not. I believe it can be known
if he does, but not if he doesn't.

>Now kindly address the issue: are you claiming that it would be
>impossible to become obese on a vegan diet?

That was someone else's thing, not mine. It seems to me
a couple pounds of sugar a day would make for obesity,
and starch turns to sugar, then fat, so it seems like it should
be simple enough. Well the popular idea of eating protein
and fat, and cellulose but no starch, should be enough to
show that eliminating starchy/sugary stuff does as well or
better than eliminating animal products. It seems more like
the sort of diet humans would have developed around,
to me. Meat and insects, fruits and whatever vegetables,
and probably leaves. Before humans learned to make
flour and breads etc, there probably wasn't a whole lot
of starch in their diet. But now...