Old 11-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Vioxel

Default Grocery Store shopping

On 9 Nov 2003 09:18:17 -0800, (Rubystars)
wrote:

Most of the recipes I've found for vegan/vegetarian dishes sound
really delicious but there's a slight problem. Most of them call for
ingredients that aren't even in the store, or if they are, are very
expensive.

Tempeh, for example. That's not in the grocery store, and I'm not even
sure where I would go to get that. I've never had it before so I'm not
sure I'd want to pay a lot of money just to find out I hated it.

Seitan (yeah, that can be made at home, but you have to track down the
right flour, and do everything right, etc.) Also I've never had it so
I'm not sure I'd want to pay a lot of money for it.

Ener-G egg replacer. That wasn't in the grocery store last time I
looked.

Soy flour (never seen that either).

The only tofu my store carries is firm.

Does anyone know of a web site I can go to that has recipes with
ingredients more like "All purpose white flour" that anyone can get a
hold of in a regular grocery store?

-Rubystars

I'm so thankful I live near downtown Austin. I have a co-op and a
local grocery within walking distance that carry all of this kind of
thing and more. In 5 minutes drive, I have 2 more large supermarkets
(one 24-hour) that have lots of space dedicated to ethical, organic,
and otherwise "weird" foods. I get tempeh in the produce section of
2 of them, and the vegetarian-specific cooler case of the other 2.

Or, I can head over to the 24-hour Kerby Lane restaurant (that uses
only locally grown produce, mostly from their own farm) and get a big
hummus and tabuleh plate for a few bucks. It'll likely be served to
me by a person with unnaturally colored hair and holes in his/her ears
that you could run a dowel rod through. Great conversationalists,
when they're not obviously baked into oblivion.

Austin is good. I like it here. *sigh* :-)
-Vioxel

pamitySpam
Just remove all the spam and such.