Rubystars

Default Grocery Store shopping

(MrFalafel) wrote in message . com>...

(Rubystars) wrote in message . com>...
> All of those 'hard to find ingredients' are actually readily available
> on-line. Now that I live in a rural part of the world, I get most of
> the specialty ingredients from on-line shops. I order a bunch of
> different things at the same time and save on shipping. What may seem
> expensive, may not be in the long run, if used for several dishes.

That's true, it could even out.

> You can make seiten from ordinary flour you find in a supermarket. You
> can make your own tempeh from soy beans. You can use a mashed banana
> or mashed tofu for egg replacement in baking. Firm tofu is the most
> versatile, and if its the stuff in the box, would work well for any
> 'silken tofu' recipe.

Yeah the tofu I can get at the store is Mori Nu firm. The only other
kind they have are some cubes floating in water and that doesn't look
appetizing, but I've used the mori nu kind a lot in different things
and I like that kind.

I'm glad that it's the most versatile type though. That's probably why
they only carry that one.

> If you email me what part of the world you are in I'll help you source
> out these ingredients locally or work on some alternatives. If I can
> get the stuff where I live I'll bet you it'll be far easier to get
> these things where you live.

I live in Houston, Texas. Most of the people out here are really
heavily into meat eating and would laugh at the idea of anyone trying
to "cut back." Unless cutting back meant eating more chicken and fish
and less beef and pork. *L*

So the grocery stores don't have a lot of vegetarian type foods, but
since Houston is a more international city we've gotten a lot of
people from India and Mexico that live here now and so there are
sections of the stores that cater to them more. Still not very large,
but there's some things there. The health food stores and specialty
shops are overpriced a lot of times though (Maybe because we're in TX,
not California, so they have a limited customer base), so that's why I
like to stick to the grocery store.

It was a good idea to look online for these things. I might try to get
some of them that way, just to see if I like them.

-Rubystars