Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Charcoal briquettes...

On Mar 14, 6:19 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Damn, that's all too much for me, I gotta go make a pot of coffee. And make
> it iced coffee. Maybe with some scotch in it. Maybe with a black label on
> the scotch. And maybe hold the coffee beans. And maybe hold the water. And
> maybe some extra ice. And maybe some extra scotch. OK, that's better.

I do believe you have cracked the code towards better behavior. If we
would all just step back, take a long pull of liquor before
responding, the world would be a lot better place. Sign me up!

Will bourbon still work? Just about all the black labels of bourbon
are good.

> And BTWhttp://www.theroasterie.com/
>
> No need to roast my own when I can drop in there any time, and I can't do it
> half as well anyway.
>
> This may also interest you:

Hard to believe, but for a real example of total snobbery, you can go
to check out alt.coffee to see how the big boys do it. They go to the
point where they were so anal, so insular, and so arrogant that after
they ate all the common members, they have turned on themselves a
couple of times.

At least bbq guys have fun. But those guys.... sheesh. They used to
be really hopping with 30 - 40 posts a day, and now they can go a
couple of days without any. They argued about equipment (mine is
better than yours), blends of coffee, roasting techniques, roasting
equipment, how long to pull a shot (27 seconds at 15 bar seems to be
the accepted norm) and how to put electronic controllers on the
boilers of your machine.

I played for a while, but crap... I have a life, family, friends,
etc., more to do than spend a day cooking the perfect shot of
espresso. And as they became more "expert" in the field, there was a
lot of talk about writing books, giving seminars to the great
unwashed, holding standards meetings, organizing the Starbucks
barristers into a union, and all manner of things related to coffee.
They really ran with the whole coffee thing thinking they would be the
teachers of society by bringing the correct way to view coffee to a
uneducated society.

But as the "expertise" grew, so did a hierarchy, and then the fights
about who was right started. Then they ate each other. Literally.

OK, maybe not literally...

But there were so many hurt feelings from protracted fights and flame
wars that when I have gone over there to look around I haven't seen
any of the old group stalwarts there in at least a year or more.

I must say, I learned a lot by reading the archives. But my input was
not requested or valued (in truth it may not have been worth much) to
the coffee boys as I drink plain, black, brewed coffee. I don't have
a $1000 in a machine and $500 in a grinder so I could even be
considered a contributor. And roasting your own beans was a must
unless you bought them from a group approved vendor.

Horsehockey, I say. I just like a good cup of coffee.

> http://www.theroasterie.com/coffee/Green%2DCoffee/26

Checked out the link, and I will keep it. The price in the greens
isn't bad at all when you buy up the weight. I usually keep make an
order of about 35 - 50 pounds or so to keep on hand and I am about
halfway through it now. I may check them out when I am down to the
last few pounds.

Roasting coffee isn't hard, and doesn't require a lot of expensive
equipment. I don't mind doing it, and have been doing so for many
years now. I like trying the different coffees, and making my own
blends. None of this is any different that making good barbecue.
Practice, notes, equipment, and more practice is all it takes.
However, unlike barbecue I could have you roasting great coffee in
just a few minutes. Barbecuing for 30 years myself, I always find
more to learn. more tips, etc. to make it just a little bit better.

Robert's end to a good day of barbecue:

Full as a tick with good barbecue. Cold and clear outside, so women
go inside. Strong African dark roast brewed. Cigars lit, coffee
served. Tiny glasses appear.... Ezra Williams Black label poured and
served neat.

A pull off the stogie. A sip of whiskey. Coffee to chase as needed.
Conversation with my buddies I don't seem to see all that much
anymore.

What could get better than that?

Robert