Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default Charcoal briquettes...

On Mar 13, 6:23 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Of possible interest here is an episode of How it's Made that just aired
> on the Discovery Channel and will surely air again a number of times.
> This particular episode included a segment showing the production of
> Kingsford charcoal briquettes, including the anthracite coal portion.
> The episode air schedule should be on the Discovery site.

Interesting episode. IIRC, it was at the Kingsford plant. I was
surprised that from start to finish they didn't seem to put any of the
horrible things in it that so many bbq sites scream about. I prefer
RO, Arrow all hardwood, etc., or plain wood, but in a pinch I didn't
seem to have the terrible reactions so many "experts" have to
Kingsford.

During that segment I kept waiting for them to spray the briquettes
with old motor oil, paint thinner or bug spray.
Actually didn't see anything disturbing. Wondered a bit about the
coal, but they explained it was for the high heat and long burn. Then
I remembered a competition on the best pizza in Chicago, and they
cooked their award winning pizzas right next to the coals from that
very anthracite.

In a strange turn of events, since Lowe's found they had a market for
the Royal Oak all hardwood stuff, it is priced about the same as
Kingsford at Sam's. It's about time.

Robert