usual suspect

Default Want to be a vegetarian

googlesux wrote:
>>>This info
>>>should include the types of animals and also the types of vegetables,
>>>including those organically grown and grown on small farms and sold at
>>>farmers markets.

>>Or what, you'll pretend they don't exist?

> Or it'll be completely useless.

Get over it. What kinds of animals? Snakes, birds, rodents, deer,
raccoons, etc. Pretty much anything which lives in and around farmland.
What kind of crops? Anything in which machinery is used for planting,
harvesting, spraying, and transporting. Storage, too, is an issue since
laws require preventive measures to kill insects and rodents around
storage facilities.

The "problem" isn't really one as far as normal people are concerned;
farmers have long accepted that animals will be crushed by machinery,
baled in with hay and straw, mutilated by implements, etc. Most
consumers either don't consider it an issue or they don't consider it at
all; the latter, of course, is shared by those who don't eat meat. It's
only an issue to veg-ns and ARAs who mistakenly believe that a complete
lack of meat in their diet means animals don't die for their food. And
it's only become an issue to those who want to continue with statements
of moral and ethical superiority. You share in the bloodletting.
Remember that when you sanctimoniously eat your tofu and belittle others
who eat meat. Animals die either way.

Any disruption of the land, whether it be to farm or to build
subdivisions, reduces the amount of land left for other animals,
resulting in the deaths of many. And Davis, a professor of
animal science at Oregon State who grew up on a farm, says as a
child he saw animals killed by the routine operation of farm
machinery, so there's no way to have a bloodless farm.

"If they say they don't want to kill an animal so they can eat,
I think their conclusion is misguided because they are killing
animals so that they can eat that vegetarian diet," Davis says.
"Those animals happen to be a little bit invisible. They are not
as obvious to the man on the street as killing a steer in the
slaughterhouse. But nonetheless, it's still going on...."

Davis admits he doesn't really know how many animals are lost
each year to agriculture, but he suspects it runs in the
millions. Not many farmers do a before-and-after survey, so the
best data are really just estimates....

It's not a perfect world... but perhaps with a lot
more thought and cooperation, a better alternative might be
found. But unless someone comes up with a brilliant idea,
whether you eat meat or just fruit and vegetables, you're going
to have to share somewhat in the bloodletting.
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scite...ard020501.html

See also:
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/news...pr02/davis.htm
http://www.bds.org.uk/Research/Silag...entperrier.htm