Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Making pulled pork in a 22 inch Weber kettle charcoal grill.

Frank wrote:

> "Pete C." > schreef in bericht
> > Frank wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello everybody,
> > > I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much more
> > > charcoal grill's.
> > >
> > > I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork

> but
> > > these are mostly all done on a smoker.
> > >
> > > Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do

> this
> > > not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Frank

> > Look in the BBQ FAQ at the info on the "bullet" type smokers, they are
> > similar though a bit taller, so you can adapt their techniques. A kettle
> > grill with the big dome lid can work if you put something like a foil
> > wrapped tray of sand between the heat source and the meat. Use foil
> > wrapped packets of wood chips with a few holes poked in them, or one of
> > the cast metal wood chip smoker boxes on the coals for the heat.

> I've tried that a couple of times while trying to make jerky. The biggest
> problem though is the heat. A kettle comes to a much higher heat then what I
> read in the "how to's", even if I cover the brikkettes with a pan of (wet)
> sand.

The pan of sand isn't really for temp control, it's to block the direct
radiant heat from getting to the meat. What you need to do is manage the
fire so it runs at a low temp. You might have some success setting up a
big spiral of unlit charcoal and adding a few lit ones to the end so it
gradually burns it's way around without too much burning at any one
time.