Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
No Name

Default Chipolte Salsa: Usable recipe?

In article <9a8dded9-4766-41a5-8a34-375741636179
@u72g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, says...
[quoting trimmed by moderator]
> would like like to get 3 - 4 cups of salsa out of the resulting
> recipe:
>
> * Small can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
> * Small can tomato sauce
> * Garlic powdered
> * Dried oregano

What country is the recipe from? Here in the US, I would guess the
small tomato sauce is a 14-15 oz can (and large would be 28 oz). The
small chipotle I buy is 7 oz, but maybe there is a can half that size?
Still, that seems excessively spicy to me (and I like heat), so I was
wondering about the country of origin? I'd start with a teaspoon of
garlic and a 1/2 tablespoon of oregano, and adjust by taste, but
honestly the recipe doesn't sound very 'salsa-y' to me. Does your jar
salsa have garlic and oregano?

I found this at epicurious.com. It seems more salsa like and the
flavors seem better to me. You could probably omit the cilantro if you
despise it as much as I do. You could also use canned diced tomatoes
and bottled lime juice, instead of fresh, especially if you are cooking
it in beans anyway.
===
chipotle salsa
Bon Appétit | September 1995

This salsa from Café Iguana in Denver, Colorado is terrific with
tortilla chips.

MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS.

Kevin Taylor, Café Iguana, Denver, Colorado

3 cups chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (sold
at Latin American markets)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
===

Hope this helps.

Louise