Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.current-events.bird-flu
Jill[_6_] Jill[_6_] is offline

Default Free-range chicken sales make front page news AND The campaign that changed the eating habits of a nation

Rudy Canoza wrote:
> ( _ /) wrote:
>> Free-range chicken sales make front page news 28 Feb 08
>> http://tinyurl.com/23ayep
>> The welfare of chickens continues to be front page news as consumers
>> become increasingly concerned about how standard chickens are raised.
>>
>> The front page of The Independent clearly highlights how more and
>> more shoppers are switching to free-range chicken since discovering
>> the reality of cheap chicken production.

> Consumers discovered no such thing. Consumers are
> notoriously susceptible to touch-feely propaganda.
> "Free range" fits their romanticized notions of how
> they imagine chickens "ought" to live. They haven't
> really thought this through, and they don't really
> understand what "free range" means, and what it doesn't
> mean.

Of the chicken meat sold there in the UK, there is still only 6% of free
range chicken sold, and most of the growth had started in the back end of
last year, not since a few telly bods started shouting.
Less than 140,000 people have signed up for HFW campaign.
36% of consumers are committed to intensively produced birds and intend to
remain so.
Right or wrong --- its not exactly a responding pledge of allegiance.

If only HFT had thought about the subject, instead of knee jerk, emotive,
illinformed and badly represented verbage.
He could have concentrated on the practicalities of small scale free range
production, preparation and marketing for the individual, or community
around the country, on how the meat as an ingredient is so different from
the different types of birds, so educating the consumer on what we use the
common supermarket meat for in comparison to that of pure breed or such. On
the lack of breeding and selection for table birds in the last 50 years and
encouraging the current breeders to change this -- to provide the consumer
with a real alternative bird. To look at the recipes needed to deal with the
other kinds of birds. To be realistic about how one rears birds in a back
garden, slaughters then and deals with them, not offering illconcieved ideas
about domestic poultry keeping that he knows little about, which is directly
going to cause suffering to birds this year. and so much more.

On the bigger national picture this is an article Pete might learn from
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3455210.ece

--

regards
Jill Bowis

Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
Housing; Equipment, Books, Videos, Gifts
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
Working Holidays in Scotland
http://www.kintaline.co.uk