Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JeffH[_2_] JeffH[_2_] is offline

Default Fish flavor but no fish from cold smoker

I checked out the cast iron pan I was using - it was pretty charred
from running about 24 hours, but it still appeared to have some
seasoning left to it, so I scrubbed it with a stainless steel scrubbie
until it was all gone, then put it on a flame and heated it as hot as
it'd go, then quenched it, scrubbed again, repeat a couple times.
Seems to be bare metal now (and had no smell when cold or heated).
We'll see how it does with the next run of venison.

Oddly enough, the bacon that was in there with the venison has no
fishy flavor, nor does the cheddar cheese I smoked. Could be a
reaction specific to the venison.

Thanks for the suggestions,
--Jeff