Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JeffH[_2_] JeffH[_2_] is offline

Default Reducing the salt in bacon

I started it in ice water, then noted the lack of salt going into the
solution and figured that the pores were all clogged with fat (it IS
bacon...). So once very chilled, I dumped the water, filled with hot
water from the tap, and let it sit about 30 minutes, then dumped again
(oddly, water wasn't very salty again) and refilled with regular cold
water and left it at that for a few hours. Then dumped in ice cubes,
went to bed, woke up in the morning and tested: Better, but still too
salty. I bet the smoke has closed off many of the pores. So, I
refreshed the water and put it outside (at about 32F) covered in the
tub and will check it when I get home from work.

Surprisingly, the smoke didn't all "wash away" - while the meat has
lightened a bit, the taste was still there and the water really isn't
picking up a ton of smoke from the meat.

Is my assumption that the meat being smoked is causing it to resist
releasing the salt correct?

Thanks,
--Jeff