Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JeffH[_2_] JeffH[_2_] is offline

Default Reducing the salt in bacon

On Mar 4, 10:39 am, "Matt" > wrote:
> When I do bacon or canadian bacon, I usually soak the belly or loin in a
> sink or bucket of ice water for a couple hours after curing. This helps
> draw out a lot of the salt/cure. I've cured bacon up to 14 days in a
> salt/sugar dry cure and it has never come out too salty. But like I said, I
> always rinse well, then soak for 2-3 hours in ice water before drying.
> Sometimes after rinsing and soaking, I'll pat the bacon dry, then brush on
> some honey or maple syrup before drying it.

That's good news. How does the application of honey/maple syrup affect
the pellicle? I'm guessing you are applying a very thin coat that
probably begins to crystallize by the time it's dry and smoking
begins. I was thinking of doing this with maple syrup, was concerned
about the pellicle formation (I'm a newbie to this).

Thanks,
--Jeff