View Single Post
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to,,,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline
external usenet poster
Posts: 14
Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Mar 4, 2:28*pm, Charles van Blommestein > wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:21*am, Doc > wrote:
> > I've got this wok from WalMart that's coated with Xylan, which I
> > gather is a first cousin of Teflon. *Big mistake. It's non-stick
> > properties aren't very good.

> > I don't like the idea of simply throwing it out and dumping more money
> > into a non-coated wok. I'm sure I could strip the coating off with one
> > of these fibrous abrasive wheels that you bolt onto a hand drill -
> > wearing a dust mask of course - but is the surface that's exposed
> > going to be suitable for cooking? Wondering if there's some pre-
> > treating that's done to the metal that might render it toxic if used
> > as a cooking surface.

> > Further, should it be possible to thoroughly remove all the coating
> > abrasively like that? Obviously I don't want to leave behind small
> > particles since I assume it's toxic.

> > Thanks

> I have a few similarly well worn pans in my kichen cubbard.
> With the "more recent" (w.i. the past 20-30 years) years of cookware,
> the metal base is very likely ALUMINUM, which when heated is very
> toxic.
> What I did and recommend is to simply continue cooking with the Xylan
> surface by using THICK COATS of the non-stick spray-on cooking oils or
> simply let the 4-leg use this worn pan as a drinking bowl.- Hide quoted text -
> - Show quoted text -

let the 4-leg use this worn pan as a drinking bowl

SWMBO would kill me - not because I let the dog drink out of a pan,
but because I tried to give her dog cancer.

She's convinced that any and all non-stick surface coatings are toxic.