Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit Karen AKA Kajikit is offline

Default Reheating Meat Pies

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:40:56 -0600, Bob Simon >
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:51:45 +0100, (Victor Sack)
>wrote:
>
>>Bob Simon > wrote:
>>
>>> My wife and I are having an Oscars Party next weekend. With reference
>>> to Sweeny Todd, we are serving meat pies. We prepared a large batch
>>> and froze them so we won't have to spend much time in the kitchen when
>>> we're entertaining. What's the best way to heat them? They are about
>>> 2.5 x 4" and the one I weighed was slightly less than 2 oz.

>>They sound more like pasties than pies. :-) Probably the best way
>>would be to let them thaw, time permitting, and then reheat them in the
>>200°C (400°F) oven for 15-25 minutes or so (it depends on the pasties
>>and the oven). If reheating from frozen, it can take up to 45 minutes.
>>You can also use a microwave, but it usually does nothing for the dough.
>>Still, consider microwaving one or two pies/pasties and see if you like
>>the results.
>>
>>Victor

>Victor,
>Hello, this is the wife. Thanks for replying. These *are* more like
>pasties. They're made of an egg bread dough, which was 1/4 inch thick
>and cut into circles of 4 inches diameter. Then we put a heaping
>teaspoon of cooked ground meat, hard-cooked egg and seasonings in the
>center, folded them in half, and baked them at 350 for about 15
>minutes. So I'm concerned that a re-baking at 400 for another 15
>minutes would be way too much time. What do you think? Also, do you
>think we should brush them with an egg wash before re-baking? We
>forgot to do that on the initial baking!
>thanks,
>Fran

When you reheat something frozen you don't need to use a high oven
temperature... you're not cooking it from scratch, just thawing it out
and warming it up. Heat them on 300F, not 400. It'll probably take at
least 30 minutes to thaw/heat them.

And no, there's no need to add gravy to them.