Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture
Rudy Canoza[_4_] Rudy Canoza[_4_] is offline

Curtain Cider wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:09:59 -0000, "Jim Webster"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Buxqi" > wrote in message
>> On Mar 3, 3:53 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>> The "vegan" pseudo-argument on "inefficiency" is that
>>> the resources used to produce a given amount of meat
>>> could produce a much greater amount of vegetable food
>>> for direct human consumption, due to the loss of energy
>>> that results from feeding grain and other feeds to
>>> livestock.

>> Yes. A vegan diet will generally have a smaller ecological
>> footprint than a meat based one.
>>
>> but this is irrelevent if the person eating the diet has a huge ecological
>> footprint because they fly regularly or drive a big car
>>
>> You have to look at the overal efficiency of the person, not merely one
>> aspect of their lives
>>
>> Jim Webster

> That's a stupid answer, you need do no such thing. Quite a silly one
> too given your position within the CLA, no doubt that would be the
> party line and if that's the best they can come up with then they are
> really struggling.
>
> The discussion is about getting rid of the hugely damaging livestock
> industry and swapping over to the much more efficient

Not so. You, too, misuse "efficient". You just don't
know the correct meaning of the word.

> and planet
> friendly vegetarian diet. What car or other habits people have is
> irrelevant, although veggies will also usually be very conscientious
> in other areas of their lives.

No, they're not. What an absurd claim.

> Presently we are nearing global capacity for meat production.

Ballocks.

> Much more and we are in serious, serious trouble.

Big steaming load.

> Go veggie and we
> instantly drop to around half the production levels with huge capacity
> in reserve.

And people don't get what they want.

> The maths are very simple.

Except they're based on fundamental misapprehension of
basic concepts. People want individual foods,
according to their preferences; they do not want
undifferentiated calories.