Vioxel

Default Want to be a vegetarian

On 18 Oct 2003 11:30:56 -0700, (WD West) wrote:

>The older I get, the more I am leaning towards becoming a vegetarian.
>Not for any health reasons but it seems so hypocritical of me to care
>as much about animals as I do and then consume them. My problem
>(which I hope is not unique) is this: I was raised in a "meat and
>potatoes" family. Every meal, every day, had some form of meat, from
>bacon in the morning to a roast etc. and night. Somehow the idea of a
>meatless meal seems like no meal at all. For instance, I could eat
>salad to the point of bursting but when I get up from the table I
>wonder, when are we having the real dinner? I have tried Garden
>Burgers and the like and, while the flavor was acceptable if not good,
>the texture obviously is not at all close to a hamburger. It is
>possible, I suppose, that the tactile part of eating meat plays a
>part. Is there any choice between continuing to eat meat and never
>really enjoying a meal again? If there isn't, I will probably choose
>to pass on enjoying food but I'd rather there was a choice. Can
>someone suggest a cookbook that may benefit someone such as myself?
>Is it simply becoming used to meatless meals and how long does that
>take? My thanks for any guidance you may provide.

Sigh. In case you're still watching this thread:

Eat what you're comfortable with. Don't force yourself or guilt
yourself into something that you won't be able to sustain. My method
was just not buying any more animal products. I used the ones I had
until they were gone. In fact, I may still have some chicken flavored
ramen kicking around.

If you are more comfortable cutting back on meat, or only buying meat
from farmers or ranchers you know treat their animals ethically, then
do that. I fully intend to start eating eggs again as soon as I meet
someone who raises hens humanely.

The real answer is, follow your conscience. Just do what you feel is
right. Obviously from the tone of the rest of this thread, there
isn't a single best answer.

-Vioxel

pamitySpam
Just remove all the spam and such.