frlpwr

Default Want to be a vegetarian

Jon wrote:

(snip)

> "vegans", or so-called
> "ethical vegetarians", engage in a classic logical
> fallacy: Denying the Antecedent. It runs like this:
>
> If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.
>
> I do not eat meat;
>
> Therefore, I do not cause animals to suffer and die.

Why do you refuse to be corrected on this point?

The above should go like this:

If I eat meat, I cause farmed animals to suffer and die.

I do not eat meat;

Therefore, I do not cause farmed animals to suffer and die.

If, at times, vegans or ethical vegetarians forget to include the animal
qualifer, "farmed", it is because, within the context of typical dietary
choices (for instance, non-Aleut diets), farm animals are the only ones
effected. It would make no sense for American vegans to believe their
diet has any bearing on the suffering and death of, say shelter dogs or
circus animals.

> The conclusion clearly does not follow: "vegans"
> cause, through their demand for fruit and vegetables,
> the suffering and death of animals.

Like most members of modern society, vegans contribute to the suffering
and death of wild animals; they don't, however, contribute to the
suffering and death of the food and fiber category of animals.

(snip)