C. James Strutz

Default Want to be a vegetarian

"WD West" > wrote in message
om...
> The older I get, the more I am leaning towards becoming a vegetarian.
> Not for any health reasons but it seems so hypocritical of me to care
> as much about animals as I do and then consume them.

There are some people on this list who will call you names and tell you in
the most vulgar language that you will contribute to more animal deaths as a
vegetarian than as a non-vegetarian. There are other people who argue
strongly to the contrary. All you can hope to do is research the issues for
yourself and make your own decisions. Think with your brain and your heart.

> My problem
> (which I hope is not unique) is this: I was raised in a "meat and
> potatoes" family. Every meal, every day, had some form of meat, from
> bacon in the morning to a roast etc. and night. Somehow the idea of a
> meatless meal seems like no meal at all. For instance, I could eat
> salad to the point of bursting but when I get up from the table I
> wonder, when are we having the real dinner? I have tried Garden
> Burgers and the like and, while the flavor was acceptable if not good,
> the texture obviously is not at all close to a hamburger. It is
> possible, I suppose, that the tactile part of eating meat plays a
> part. Is there any choice between continuing to eat meat and never
> really enjoying a meal again? If there isn't, I will probably choose
> to pass on enjoying food but I'd rather there was a choice. Can
> someone suggest a cookbook that may benefit someone such as myself?
> Is it simply becoming used to meatless meals and how long does that
> take? My thanks for any guidance you may provide.

One of the benefits of vegetarian lifestyle is discovering that meals don't
need a central focus. I think that always having same meatotato:vegetable
theme for every meal stifles most kitchen creativity. Getting past that
limitation opens up lots of new possibilities for combinations of
vegetables, legumes, grains and fruits that make cooking and dining much
more interesting. Getting to that point may take some time depending on how
far entrenched you are in the meat focused lifestyle. Until then, there are
lots of meat and dairy substitute products on the market with widely varying
facsimiles to the real thing. The key thing to remember is that they are not
meat, so don't expect them to taste exactly like meat.

Regarding cookbooks, go to the nearest bookstore and browse the vegetarian
cooking section for something that appeals to you. There's everything from
"Almost Vegetarian" cookbooks to vegan cookbooks. While you're at the
bookstore, check the magazine rack for "Veggie Life" and "Vegetarian Times"
magazines. They have lots of good information and recipes for all levels of
vegetarian preferences.

Good luck with it...