Jonathan Ball

Default Facts we should *not* consider.

swamp wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:10:40 GMT, Jonathan Ball
> > wrote:
>

>>swamp wrote:
>>

>>>Yep. Great, we've got the store-bought ^&&^% Marlins and the
>>>Steinbrenner-bought &*&%% Yankees in the Series. Too bad they can't
>>>both lose.

>>I have a friend from my graduate school days at UCLA
>>who, when the USC-Notre Dame game comes around, says
>>that he roots for injuries.

> I know lots of UCLA grads who feel the same way. Never quite
> understood them.

They hate USC, and no one likes ND.

> Dad went to SC and took me to games as a kid, so
> naturally they're my team. Mom went to Berkeley and I went to UCI, so
> I root for UCLA and Cal unless they're playing SC. My second favorite
> team is whoever's playing Notre Dame.

That's what UCLA students and alumni say about USC.

I did two years at community college, then completed
undergrad at [lowers voice to whisper] USC. I was
badly fooled. It wasn't a good school. It was L.A.'s
connections school: where young white men went to get
into some dull moneymaking thing like real estate
development or accounting, and women went to meet the
budding real estate developer or accountant to get
married. I got to grad school at UCLA and realized I
was woefully unprepared. UCLA was and is an excellent
school, just a tiny nudge below Berkeley; USC was junk.
USC has gotten a lot better than it once was, but it
still does not match UCLA academically.

> And I like a good hit as much as
> anyone, but never like to see serious injuries. Hell, they're just
> kids playin' ball...

My friend was only expressing his disgust for both
schools, not truly rooting for injuries.

>>As I said before, it's the series only New Yorkers and
>>Miamians wanted to see.

> They'll get great ratings on the East coast. Our side, they'll be
> lucky to outdraw the History channel.
>

>>Although a big fan of baseball, I don't follow the
>>business of the sport enough to know much about how
>>teams are put together, although the Yankees' method is
>>well known: Steinbrenner opens his checkbook. I know
>>that was true of the previous Florida team to reach the
>>Series, but I read some columnist in the L.A. Times
>>writing that this Florida team was built more in the
>>good old fashioned way: player development and
>>"normal" trades, rather than big-bucks free agent signings.

> More in the old-fashioned way this time than Huizenga's Marlins, yes,
> but Pudge was bought. I still have problems rooting for them.
>

>>As I also said before, I'd root for the national team

>>from a State That Sponsors Terrorism against the

>>Yankees, I hate 'em so much. Same goes for the Raiders
>>in football, and the same used to go for the Flyers in
>>hockey. There's never been an "alien" basketball team
>>I hated that much.

> You didn't hate the Celtics? That smug, cigar-faced, racist Auerbach,
> elbow-artist McHale, and whiner of Ainge?

I certainly didn't like them, but I wouldn't say I
hated them, although in retrospect I should have hated
that racist shitbag Auerbach. I still remember McHale
practically decapitating Kurt Rambis, and nothing
happened to him.

It seemed to me the team to hate in that era, for
Lakers fans, as the bad boy Pistons, not the Celtics.
The Celtics we just wanted to beat, and soundly.

> I don't know any empirical method of quantifying hate, but I'll match
> my hatred for the Yankees w/ yours any day. It started when Reggie
> stuck his butt out to deflect the double play throw in the '77 World
> Series, and has grown ever since. Hate 'em more than Notre Dame, the
> Giants, Celtics, and Cowboys combined.

I lived in the Bay Area for a while and became kind of
a secondary Giants fan, although I can't stand Bonds.
I stopped hating the Cowboys as soon as Staubach
retired and we quit hearing that "America's Team" crapola.