Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Peter Gibbons Peter Gibbons is offline

Default Weber Grill - Spirit vs. Genesis?

I'm in the market for a new gas grill, as my 2 1/2 year old Charbroil
is rusted out, and I'm tired of buying new grills every 2-3 years.

First, a question about Weber in general. I've heard great things not
only about how well the grills are built, but can I still expect parts
(like the grate, burners, flavorizers, box, etc) to rust out after
just a couple of years? I know you can easily buy replacement parts
from Weber, but I don't want to get stuck in the same cycle I'm
currently in - even if I'm just replacing parts one-at-a-time.

Second - are the Genesis models really worth almost twice what the
Spirit models are? I was looking at a Spirit E-310 with 3 burners
(36000 BTUs) at $299, and the only difference between it and the
Genesis E-320 is 6000 BTUs and a side burner. But the Genesis costs
$639. I admit that I use the side burner on my Charbroil quite a bit,
and would miss it if I bought a Spirit, but I could buy two Spirit's
for the price of the Genesis. What else justifies that huge jump in
price?

Third, am I overlooking any other grill models (Weber or otherwise)
that have a decent build, and don't cost an arm and a leg?