MrFalafel

Default Butternut Squash Help

"XwomX" > wrote in message news:<wwFgb.40708$pl3.21345@pd7tw3no>...
> I once had a Butternut Bisque at a restaurant. It was rich and creamy,
> topped off with a little drizzle of hazlenut oil.
>
> I don't have a recipe, but it was so good, someone is bound to?
>

> "lostcherree" > wrote in message
> > I have a small jar of butternut squash puree... what could I go with it ??
> >
> > Heather

Butternut Bisque

6 cups water
6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 lbs)
3 cups potatoes, diced (Yukon Gold if available)
1 large onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
14oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes (diced tomatoes mixed with a
bit of cumin and oregano)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp white pepper
generous sprinkling of fresh ground nutmeg
1/3 cup mellow white miso
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tbsp tamari

Place water, squash, potatoes, onion and garlic in a 6 quart saucepan
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 30 to 45 minutes
or until the vegetables are tender. Remove 3 cups of the veggies to
the bowl of a food processor and add the stewed tomatoes and
nutritional yeast. Process the mixture to a thick puree. Return the
puree to the soup and add the thyme, sage, pepper and nutmeg.

In a separate bowl, blend the miso with the sherry and add to the
bisque with the tamari. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or just until
the bisque begins to bubble. Do not boil. Serve with a crusty
sourdough bread.