Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Sourdough migration

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 02:31:08 -0800 (PST), TG
> wrote:

>I used to assert that my starters all run true but now I've realised
>that what I've done with the bake has so much more of an effect on the
>flavour that it's almost impossible to tell without good side by side
>tests

Hi Jim,

I agree with what you have written above, but was not
assessing the differences between the two starts I mentioned
by taste or by baking characteristics.

The two about which I made my comment are ACME and Poilne.

I know with certainty that if I refresh them and carefully
weigh out equal amounts the ACME rises faster.

I have done this simple test many times over many years
using an identical pair of graduate cylinders and the
difference is always quite dramatic.

Though, of course, we could debate the reason, I feel
certain that these starters have remained different.

Also, when you wrote:

>but if you have a competition for food
>and a resident population of chickens, if the chickens are more
>efficient at eating up the food then you'd have more chickens than
>buffalo, eventually having no buffalo.

I agree completely, but mentioned in my comment:

and finally, you said:

>Ed Wood's starters all were or seemed different to
>me too, all grown on the same flour and in the same area. He certainly
>gets no complaints about that at least.

but I am curious about why you think he gets no such
complaints. Do you think he would tell us?

All the best,
--
Kenneth