Jonathan Ball

Default Banana Flambé, aka Bananas Foster

Jon Lindsay wrote:

> Banana Flambé
>
> 2 tbsp brown sugar
> 1 tsp cinnamon
> 2 tbsp margarine
> 6 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced in half, lengthwise
> 3 tbsp dark Caribbean rum
>
> Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a
> 9x12inch ovenproof dish with margarine and sprinkle with half the
> cinnamon/brown sugar mixture. Arrange the bananas in the dish with the
> cut side down. Sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon sugar mix and
> dot with margarine. Bake about 10 minutes or until the bananas are
> well cooked. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the rum and ignite.
> Serve hot with vegan ice ‘cream'.

This is a weak variant of an old New Orleans classic
called Bananas Foster. I don't know if Bananas Foster
originated at Brennan's, but they provide their recipe
for it online at
http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html.

It's prepared much quicker on the stovetop rather than
in the oven.

Two things to note: 3 tablespoons of rum spread
sprinkled across as much material as there is will not
ignite. Second, even if you substitute the generous
half-cup of booze in Brennan's recipe for the meager 3
tablespoons in Jon Lindsay's, it *still* might not
ignite if you're using standard 80 proof (40°) dark rum
like Myers's; the alcohol content simply isn't high
enough. However, be very careful if you use 151 rum,
as that stuff will ignite explosively.