Ann I. Sakis

Default Farm Raised Salmon as Sashimi

> 3) Is "freezing to weaken parasites" a good measure to
> take with salmon? I've heard the measure described as a
> silver bullet for parasites, and I've heard others say that
> it is still risky even if you freeze it. Basically, if I
> buy one of those farm-raised fished, freeze and thaw it,
> should I be okay?

This sort of Q comes up several times a year (most recently,
March 2004) and should be in the FAQ at www.sushifaq.com .

You should google a.f.s for "anisakis" as a keyword for most
of the "home freezing" threads. Basically, home freezing is
slow, unlike professional FLASH FREEZING at ultra-low
temperatures and will not preserve freshness or quality.

Home freezers and professional freezers are at different
temperatures and will require different amounts of time to
reach the FDA recommended safety points. See the anisakis
threads for links to the FDA, UCSD and U. Md. web sites
on freezing fish for sushi.

From info in a.f.s, it seems that anisakis is less of a
problem in farmed salmon. Freezing does not deal with other
pathogens that might be introduced in the handling process.
E.g., if fish and fowl are processed in the same area of a
market or with unwashed knives and cutting boards or by a
single butcher who does everything (fish, fowl, meat) without
washing his hands, clean fish can be contaminated, e.g., with
salmonella and freezing won't help with that.

--
Sent by xanadoof from yahoo subpart from com