FreddieM

Default Farm Raised Salmon as Sashimi

"Ken" > wrote in message
news:wTFDc.101544$2i5.48126@attbi_s52...
> I've seen the extensive postings in this group about avoiding the
> consumption of raw wild Pacific salmon due to parasites. I have a few
> questions along those lines:
>
> 1) I occasionally eat tuna from my local grocery store (in Seattle). It is
> usually just their standard tuna steak cut, not the "sashimi-grade" Ahi

that
> they sometimes carry. The guy behind the counter told me that it's fine

> eat the non-sashimi grade. Is it?

Who knows. Lots and lots of Americans eat Tuna Steak grilled "rare".
Thats not all so far from "raw" at all.

> 2) I've been eyeing those big farm-raised salmon fillets at Costco and the
> grocery store. Without regard to flavor, would those be safe to eat raw?

Farm raised salmon raw-as-is probably has a far lesser chance of parasites
being present than wild salmon. I know lots of people who eat farm raised
salmon raw as-is, whereas these same people would not do that with wild
salmon.

> 3) Is "freezing to weaken parasites" a good measure to take with salmon?
> I've heard the measure described as a silver bullet for parasites, and

I've
> heard others say that it is still risky even if you freeze it. Basically,
> if I buy one of those farm-raised fished, freeze and thaw it, should I be
> okay?

Freezing to weaken any possible parasites is a good measure to take.
Another measure if you are so inclined is to marinate the salmon in salt and
vingar overnight, then cut off all the parts that have turned brownish from
the
vinegar. Of course your salmon may have already been frozen once before
sale.