Dan Logcher

Default Does miso need refrigeration?

Graeme... in London wrote:

>>That can't be, unless you mean unopened jar. Mayonaise goes bad rather
>>quickly if not refridgerated, causing salmonella.

> Mayonnaise will keep for a lot longer than 3 months unrefridgerated, even
> opened. Its not the mayo that goes off, but normally a contaminated spoon or
> knife that has scooped out the product. i.e. butter on knife, or spoon not
> cleaned correctly. It's this cross contamination that kick starts the
> chemical reaction. In the UK, mayonnaise is not sold refridgerated, but
> stacked on shelves.

They don't refridgerate pre-sold mayonaise in the US either. I have a jar
in the cabinet now. But I would never consider leaving it out after opening.
It's just asking for an illness.

> Saying that, I usually keep mine in the fridge once opened.

Same, and any mayo products too. I often mix a batch of spicy mayo
for sushi and put it in a squeeze bottle. I keep that handy in the
fridge door.

> Graeme (too lazy to clean the damned knife)

To scared to test your theory.

--
Dan