Posted to alt.food.vegan,rec.food.veg
Jam Sandwich Jam Sandwich is offline

Default the soy debate!

Jeßus wrote:

> figsandolives wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm hearing unfermented soy (e.g soy milk, tofu..) isn't good for you
> > because of it's phytic acid content and phytoestrogen messing up the
> > body's hormones (especially thyroid for women), and how it's been
> > actually overstated how much soy Asians traditionally ate - who tend to
> > eat more fermented soy e.g. miso, soy sauce (is this a food!?), etc..
> >
> > As far as my personal diet goes, I just enjoy soymilk and occasional soy
> > cheeses. I rarely eat TVP products as I try to eat unprocessed as much
> > as possible (I have little desire to actually pretend eating meat)
> >
> > What is the truth here? I like my soymilk.

> IMHO, you've stated the truth already
>
> Enjoy it in moderation - just don't make soy the overwhelming component
> of your diet.
>
> I also couldn't agree more about TVP and other 'fake meat' products...
> if someone really needs to eat that crap - maybe they should just be
> honest with themselves and eat meat! I've never felt the urge to try to
> emulate animal products like that... I see no point in it.

be honest with themselves? I don't understand that..
I like some of the substitute meats, especially in burgers and sausages.
More variety on my plate. Lovely! After 30 years of being veggie I still
lust after my Mum's cottage pie but to eat it is a big no no.. so
anything that fulfills my dream without actually having real animal in
is fine with me.
maybe there's a difference in WHY some of us don't eat meat.
Honestly!