Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Removing Baked-on Oil from Pans

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:04:39 -0600, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:54:23 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri wrote:
>
>> On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
>>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
>>> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
>>> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
>>> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
>>> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
>>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
>>> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
>>> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
>>> effective.)

>> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
>> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
>> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
>> outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
>> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
>> still on it.

>And the last person who tried that a couple weeks ago reported
>back that it did nothing at all. Which doesn't surprise me.
>
>-sw

Howdy,

I was the OP on the recent thread about the baked-on oil,
and indeed, the ammonia method did nothing to solve the
problem.

I have had excellent results with the ammonia when the stuff
on the pan was still slightly soft.

In the situation I had described, the oil had baked into a
hard, varnish-like mass.

I did solve the problem with a product called "Carbon Off"
(which I believe to be the same thing as "Sokoff.")

All the best,
--
Kenneth