Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Removing Baked-on Oil from Pans

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 15 Feb 2008 02:54:23p, maxine in ri told us...
>
>> On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
>>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
>>> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
>>> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
>>> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
>>> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
>>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
>>> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
>>> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
>>> effective.)

>> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
>> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
>> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
>> outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
>> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
>> still on it.
>>
>> maxine in ri
>>

> If the pan is aluminum it will be totally ruined. Stainless steel works
> okay.

Following some of the hints on here today I just cleaned baked on oil
off an enameled bake pan with Goo Begone today. Don't remember who
posted that hint but many thanks for making a job I don't like anyway
lots easier.

George