Posted to rec.food.equipment
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Slow cooker vs pressure cooker?

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> >Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
> >three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
> >cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
> >you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
> >not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

> OK point taken
>
> Any advice in a small pressure coke for a single
> person? brand and model?

I *think* I've seen something smaller than a 4-quart but would have to
do some net searching for it. It may have been either a Fagor or a
Marfesa. If you have never used one, know this: you can only fill
them to about 2/3 of their capacity. I would not buy one less than 6
quarts; I think my brother's is a 4-quart -- he's single. I use mine
often to cook beef chunks for freezing for later use. Three pounds of
chuck pieces would crowd a 4 quart unit, IMO.

Do you have deep pockets? One of the newer brands comes with more than
one size pan to use with the lid and its mechanism. Handy, I suppose,
especially if you happen to need a couple saucepans.

I'd buy a stainless steel unit rather than an aluminum one, I guess.

There's a website devoted to pressure cooking, hosted by Lorna Somebody.
Lorna Sass? I'd have to look. Look for "cooking under pressure" as a
book title.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted