Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default I need a bunch of good spice containers

"pavane" > wrote in
:

> "Anders J. Aamodt" > wrote in message
>| On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:37:39 -0800, Raison de
>| > wrote:
>| > glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in
>| > light.
>|
>| On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney
>| > said:
>| > You might try Penzeys.
>| >
>| > http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html
>| >
>| > Christine
>|
>| Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for
>| spices? What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my
>| cupboards are next to the stove...
>
> Light is the Darth Vader of earthly effects on spices. You have
> two choices: either paint the outside of the clear jars before
> filling them with herbs (this way you can create a pleasing color
> scheme to fit your kitchen) or when you buy the herbs spread
> them on a jelly-roll pan and spray-paint the spices so that
> the light will not penetrate and deteriorate them. Be sure to
> let them dry thoroughly before putting them into the jars,
> which then, of course, need not to be painted. The advantage
> of this course of action is that you can paint the herbs and
> spices to match whatever recopies you are contemplating:
> green for veggies, red for beef, pink for pork and so on, limited
> only by your imagination and creativity.
>
> pavane

Keep spices in dark glass beer bottles...a bent nail can be used to
produce shaker holes in the beer bottle caps. OH! use emptied beer
bottles only...think of the fun in collecting the containers especially
if you avoid American beer bottles

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore