Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pierre[_1_] Pierre[_1_] is offline

Default South African bbq

On Feb 9, 10:11*am, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> Years ago (c. 1982-1987) I had reason to spend a few years in Houston,
> TX. *There was a restaurant there (far west side, on Hwy. 6) called
> "Mike's Kitchen" that served South African style bbq, mostly marinated
> beef or lamb kabobs skewered with dried apricots and bay leaves, and
> grilled. *They called them "sosaties" on the menu, as I recall.
> Verrrrrry tasty vittles, with side dishes and a salad bar with stuff
> I'd never heard of but liked (e.g. banana fritters).
>
> Anybody out there familiar with the style? *Anybody know of the
> spices, &tc.?
>
> I found this link for starters:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/South-A...sKebabs/Detail...
>
> Anyway, worth a shot for something new.
>
> -Zz

Zz:

Google Books had a few results. Here's one for starters. (Whats also
nice about this link, is that it gives you the "entire book" to paruse
through. Lots of information on that cuisine. They've got some
strange names for things; chump chops, kidneys on a skottel, or
braaiing meat.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=n31...84_2bNx_KyR6Yc

(The link may wrap improperly, or may not perform as a hyperlink; if
so, paste it all into your browser's address bar.)

Good luck.

Pierre