Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: 10 2000 Clos de Vougeot, 1 '92, 1 Vougeot 1er

On Feb 6, 1:52Â*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Feb 6, 1:27�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > DaleW wrote:

> > > The fun of tasting blind. If you had asked me beforehand, I wouldn't
> > > have predicted Engel in my top 3, much less my favorite. And would
> > > have guessed Anne Gros to be a fave, rather than my last place
> > > finisher. The Engel and Grivot were particular finds, as comparative
> > > values

> > > There was one non-blind bottle, the 1992 Drouhin Clos Vougeot, Jay
> > > brought as he couldn't locate the 2000. A nice mature Burg, tannins
> > > resolved, good acidity, some mineral, maybe just a hint of (not
> > > unattractive) greenness still there. Wish I still had my food when
> > > this came around. B/B+

> > > Kudos to Jay for a great job coordinating, thanks to Chet for the
> > > Leroy, �Paul Jaouen for arranging venue,and to everyone for the good
> > > company. I liked my food, though the sauces on the sweetbreads and the
> > > veal cheeks were a bit much for the wines. Others had some doneness
> > > issues with meat, but I think everyone had a good time. Overall I had
> > > quite a favorable impression of the wines, though I was a bit fatigued
> > > and maybe not up to mustering my usual enthusiasm. Fun night anyway.

> > What a great tasting, Dale! (Too bad I'm a few days late for it) �As you
> > well know, with Clos Vougeot more than any other Burgundy it's not just
> > a matter of winemaker's skill/philosophy, but also of holdings. �I
> > wonder if Anne Gros doesn't have access to the better CdV fruit, though
> > that doesn't explain the heavyhanded oakiness (unless it's underfruited
> > rather than overoaked, as they say). �Given your positive experience
> > with Grivot, I might just have to lug along that '98 Vosne I threatened
> > you with earlier, though lately I've been leaning toward an '88 Groffier
> > Chambertin Clos de Beze to resolve an earlier discussion re Groffier's
> > wines. �Any preference? (I will factor that in if expressed)

> > Mark Lipton

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com-Hide quoted text -

> I think most people regard Anne Gros as a "better" CdV producer, with
> good holdings. It vies with the Mugneret and Meo for "most expensive
> after the Leroy". More of a style thing for me, I think.- Hide quoted text -

I absolutely get the "cherry cough syrup" thing from Anne Gros wines
in general and it can be off putting. As far as the terroir of CdV
goes it's probably hard to define the terroir of a vineyard that large
with so many growers but my comment was really meant in a more general
way in that in the past few years it seems that Leroy's wines show
much more front loaded fruit than earthy mineral components that could
be related to flavors that are terroir driven although it could be
argued that big fruit is a component of terroir in a general sense.
It seems like the vicoden is kicking in and I'm talking in circles....!