Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry[_3_] Terry[_3_] is offline

Default Peanut, peanut butter, jelly !

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:00:08 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Next, the question:
>I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
>little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
>don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
>product need to be refrigerated.

As others have stated, eventually the oil will go rancid. So it
depends on how long it takes you to consume the finished product.

It's never a problem at our house. The wife's normal breakfast is an
apple spread with peanut butter (she will not eat nuts but likes
crunchy peanut butter. Go figure.) A jar might last a week and a
half.

When I was growing up we always kept peanut butter in the fridge,
which made it impossible to spread. Now I realize it was ridiculous.
The stuff would never have gone rancid; a dozen or so siblings can go
through a 5-lb tub of peanut butter faster than you can imagine.

Best -- Terry