SCUBApix

Default "bread flour"

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that bread flour has
> added to it, citric acid (vitamin c) powder to make it bread flour.
>
> I tried adding the teeniest pinch of citric acid to my all-purpose flour

for
> a pizza crust, instead of using bread flour which seems to make it a

little
> too bubbly for my tastes. The addition of the citric acid did change my
> crust.
>
> Big imagination?
> Dee

It may change the texture of the dough but you did NOT make bread flour out
of All Purpose flour. The difference between bread flour and all purpose
flour is the protein content. Bread flour has more. However, I don't know of
any 'official' value that allows one to call flour bread flour. Most bread
flour I believe is in the 14-16% protien range while All Purpose flour is in
the 9-11% range. However, I believe some flours are in the 12% and are used
for either flour.