Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Default Inoculation, chemicals and water quantity calculations for a secondwine...

I am making 2 * 5 gallon batches of Dried Elderberry/Frozen Blackberry
wine, 1 is oaked, the other is not. They have just started fermenting
in respective primaries. When they go to their secondaries I plan to
combine the straining bags from the two batches to make a third 5
gallon batch as a 'second wine'. I haven't done this before and so I
have a few questions.

Firstly, can I presume that the fruit in the straining bags will
contain enough active yeast cells to inoculate the new batch or should
I plan to add fermenting wine from the first batch back in to jump
start the second? I am guessing it will be self inoculating.

Secondly - if the straining bags from the first wine are enough to
start the inoculation - would I be fine using lukewarm water rather
than hot? If not, I guess I'd be into a re-inoculation anyway. No
big deal since I could keep a little of the must from the first wine
by, in order to re-inoculate. Am I also correct that there is nothing
to gain by adding more pectic enzyme the second time around, since the
fruit has already been treated?

Thirdly should I make much allowance for volume leeched from the
fruit's remaining flesh or will most of the leechable flesh/juice be
gone?

Many thanks in advance, any other tips gained from experience in this
method would also be well received!

Jim