Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sla#s Sla#s is offline

Default Is this a knife sharpener?

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:45:34 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> I really don't think you know what you're talking about, again.

>> You can think what you'd like. Your magical thinking, however,
>> doesn't change reality.
>>
>> A couple random references:
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/200412162.../artsteel.html
>>
>> http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=369532

> You found a few obscure references. Want to see how many I can
> dig up for the striated steels?
>
> Like I said, my knives are in perfect condition after not having
> been sharpened for years by using the striated steels. And at
> the rate they're going, they'll last another 200+ years without
> grinding down of the blade.
>
> And yes, they're sharp. I do a lot of precise cutting and
> dissection of tough foods.

I agree with you mate!
I was shown how to sharpen meat knives by a butcher in the '50s and have
been sharpening them with stones and steels for fifty years.
I have been sharpening knives, shears, scissors, guillotines, planes, saws,
chisels (metal and wood), drill bits, punches and cutters (Side and edge)
for friends and professionally for work mates for fortyfive years.
OK if a steel has been used badly one has to use a stone but once the knack
is learned a steel can be used on a kitchen knife almost forever (In the
long term they tend to remove the centre). You will rarely see a stone in a
butchers shop!
Stones are usually reserved for higher temper steels than used in kitchen or
meat knives.

So Jenny - ignor him and learn to use your steel - try asking your local
butcher how to do it :-)

Slatts