Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jennyanniedots[_2_] Jennyanniedots[_2_] is offline

Default Is this a knife sharpener?

> All my steels have very shallow, practically microscopic
> striations. *If you run your fingers down the shaft it feels
> smooth, but if you rub your fingers around the circumference of
> the rod you can tell its striated as there's some friction to it.
>
> This is probably what the OP has as well. *Is this the kind
> you're referring to, or one that is completely smooth?

The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
Recommendations?

Thanks!
-Jen