Posted to rec.food.cooking
David Scheidt David Scheidt is offline

Default Is this a knife sharpener?

Sqwertz > wrote:
:On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 03:45:30 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:

:> It's striated steel. The grooves cut serrations at the edge of the knife,
:> as it's realigning the edge. That gives it an edge that acts sharp --
:> it slices well, even though it won't cut -- briefly, and then quickly
:> dulls.

:I've steeled my knives every 8-10 uses and I have never had to
:have them sharpened.

You probably also have dull knives. Most people do, even those who
think they don't.

:> It also very quickly eats up the knife.

:Maybe you're using aluminum knives, but they don't eat up the
:knives at all. Certainly not more than than even the slightest
:sharpening.

They do. Examine the edge before and after use, under a 10 or 20
power scope. A striated steel leaves very distinct, and quite
visible grooves at the edge. That's metal that's been removed from
the edge. A smooth steel won't remove metal from the edge, it merely
realigns the very edge.

:> If you want a steel, get a smooth one. That will actually work the way
:> people say steels do, by realigning the edge.

:All my steels have very shallow, practically microscopic
:striations. If you run your fingers down the shaft it feels
:smooth, but if you rub your fingers around the circumference of
:the rod you can tell its striated as there's some friction to it.

:This is probably what the OP has as well. Is this the kind
:you're referring to, or one that is completely smooth?

Smooth means smooth. What you're describing is a striated steel.
They come in different grades of fineness.