Posted to alt.food.wine
Wine For Newbies Wine For Newbies is offline

Default Opening a Wine Store - any store owners out there to share theexperience?

On Jan 28, 5:54 pm, Mike Miller > wrote:
> In article <51a70f9f-5050-4610-9d27-61d16f83d894
> @z17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, says...> My dream is to open a wine store (wine only, not a generic liquor
> > store) at some point in the future.
> > I would like to know if there are store owners in the group who would
> > like to share their experiences.
> > Was it worth it opening the store? Is it still worth it? Pitfalls? How
> > to get figure out the numbers for a business plan? Any information is
> > helpful.

> > Thank you,

> > Andre
> >http://www.winefornewbies.com/

> We had a wine shop open near by that has done well from what I can tell.
>
> His outlook on the shop is to not carry wines that can be bought in the
> local food stores, have wine that spans the price range of $10 to $279
> and do in-store tastings of almost any wine he carries. There are some
> expections to that of course.
>
> We have a lot of fun there and have expanded our selection because of
> the tastings. I have a hard time justifing spending $50 on a bottle of
> wine when I don't know if I will like it. That's not a problem any more
> as long as I go to this shop!
>
> --
> Mike

HI Mike.
My main idea is to allow customers to taste every single wine
available at the store. I do believe not tasting the wine keeps people
from buying whatever they don't know.
Thanks for the tip.

Andre