Posted to alt.food.wine
Wine For Newbies Wine For Newbies is offline

Default Opening a Wine Store - any store owners out there to share theexperience?

On Jan 28, 7:40 pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> "Wine For Newbies" > wrote in ...
>
> > My dream is to open a wine store (wine only, not a generic liquor
> > store) at some point in the future.
> > I would like to know if there are store owners in the group who would
> > like to share their experiences.
> > Was it worth it opening the store? Is it still worth it? Pitfalls? How
> > to get figure out the numbers for a business plan? Any information is
> > helpful.

> > Thank you,

> > Andre
> >http://www.winefornewbies.com/

> I am not in the wine business, but know many who are. I live in Connecticut
> and they let me see the Connecticut Beverage Journal--the monthly price book
> from distributors to retail. The margins are so low here you have to sell a
> boat-load of wine to make some money. Amity Wine is one of these "big box"
> shops. But here near Yale there is one shop, The Wine Thief, that caters to
> the academic community. They sell some high end beers, high end aperitifs,
> but find some great wine buys between 10 and 20 dollars. They focus on
> regular customers and referrals. And wines you will not find anyplace else.
> They also get some nice allocations. They now have two shops here in New
> Haven. You might want to get in touch with Karl Ronne and ask for some
> advice. Give him a call..

Thank you, Evan.
The comments about the low margin is scaring me a little (a lot, to be
honest).
I will keep your suggestion to call Karl Ronne in mind for when I am
more prepared. At this stage everything is very up in the air with me.